A review of largest area of business for HEE London & South East, developing the interrelationships with other areas of the business. This was followed by a functional review for the other 3 Regional Areas of HEE, to develop consistency.
Health Education England: Development of Operating Model and PGMDE Review
HEE (London & the South East) had co-located their Postgraduate Medical & Dental Education Support teams (the largest area of HEE’s business). They wanted to develop a consistent way of working and operational model, across these disparate teams, to support greater value for NHS organisations. This required not only looking at how this function operated singly, but in wider connection to the other business areas of the Region and developing a coherent operating model.
What we did:
Plum, working with the HEE LaSE internal project team, set up a root and branch review of all elements of how PGMDE operated and the variances. We then developed options for the development of a consistent PGMDE operational model. Once the model was agreed, we then developed a new organisational structure for the integrated function, harmonising roles and responsibilities and supporting consultation and the adoption of the new operational and organisational model. This was then developed as part of a wider operational model, where each bit of the HEE’s LaSE business connected with the other other in a coherent delivery system, with clear roles and responsibilities, and reducing duplication and wasted effort across the business.
Plum was then asked to review this function within the other 3 Regions of England, supporting consistent business operation, new structures and cost efficiencies.
What we achieved:
- Developed a change process, which was led by the LaSE internal team, developing longer term capability;
- Developing a single model for PGMDE support across the London & South East Region;
- Developing a new organisational structure, which achieved over 30% cost reduction in operating costs;
- Developed a consultation process, which engaged staff in the development of new operational and cultural ways of working;
- Developed a single and connected operating model for the London & South East Region, which guided further cost efficiencies and operational changes;
- Supported the 3 other HEE English Regions conduct a functional review of PGMDE support, realising increased consistency of business process and cost efficiencies.
Plum was part of a multi-disciplinary team, delivering a global lean leadership programme, to support a range of organisational and behavioural changes across the business, to shape a new culture and leadership ‘mindset’.